How to clean the fabric of upholstered chairs
Upholstered chairs , especially if made of velvet , are certainly a sophisticated and comfortable addition to the rooms of your living and/or working facility as they make the entire environment more harmonious, chic and elegant.
However, over time, chair fabric can accumulate stains, odors and even mold, making a deep cleaning necessary.
The simple vacuum cleaner, although it is an effective tool in removing dust, will never eliminate all the dirt accumulated over the years.
In this guide, we will show you how to clean the fabric of upholstered chairs safely and effectively, using the right techniques and the most appropriate products.
Before you start cleaning upholstered fabric , it is important to know what type of upholstery was used for your chair.
There are several types of fabrics used to make upholstered chairs: the best-known ones include cotton , wool , polyester and velvet .
Naturally, each fabric requires different maintenance and, for this reason, it is essential that you know the type of fabric in order to choose the most suitable products and the best cleaning methods in order to avoid damaging the fabric and even the entire upholstered chair .
Generally, the upholstery of the chair is indicated by a label placed on the edges of the furnishing accessory; otherwise you can ask the seller directly what type of fabric was used to make the chair.
Once you have identified the material used, you can opt for different cleaning solutions.
There are several cleaning methods that can be effective in achieving a deep and effective clean for chair upholstery.
However, before proceeding, it is important to check the manufacturer's instructions to ensure that the fabric can be cleaned safely.
In general, here are some of the most effective cleaning methods:
● Vacuum cleaner: vacuuming is a useful method for removing accumulated dirt such as crumbs, animal hair, etc., and dust from upholstered fabric. The important thing is to use an accessory for delicate fabrics to avoid damaging the surface.
● Fabric shampoo: Fabric shampoos come in different types and can help remove stains from upholstered fabric. Of course, however, it is essential to follow the manufacturer's instructions and be careful not to use an excessive amount of product .
● Soap and water: You can use soap and water to remove light stains. You just need a clean cloth soaked in water and mild soap and then gently dab the stain.
● Steam: Using a steam cleaner can be effective in removing dirt and stains from upholstered fabric. However you must be careful not to use too much pressure or heat , which could damage the surface.
● Professional stain removal: In some cases, you may need professional cleaning to remove stains from upholstered fabric. Use a company that specializes in fabric cleaning for the best results.
In general, it is important to avoid using aggressive (chemical) products or solvent-based solutions that could damage the upholstered fabric.
To clean cotton padded fabric , there are several methods; Here are some tips to get the best results:
- Vacuum the fabric: before starting cleaning, remove dust and surface dirt using a vacuum cleaner with a soft bristle brush .
- Remove stains: if the fabric has stains, use a specific product for cleaning fabrics. These detergents are gentle and do not damage the fabric. However, we recommend that you first test the product on a hidden area of the fabric to check for any unwanted reactions.
Furthermore, if the fabric has a removable cover, you can also proceed with a wash:
- dry for the most delicate fabrics; there are professional dry cleaning services, but there are also products for DIY dry cleaning, such as bicarbonate of soda or vinegar.
- in the washing machine for the most resistant fabrics: use a delicate detergent and set the wash cycle to low temperature. Avoid the dryer, preferring instead to dry in the open air.
The important thing, however, is to act promptly to remove stains and dirt, avoiding the use of aggressive or bleaching products, as they can damage the fabric.
Cleaning the wool padded fabric requires attention and delicacy, but by following a few simple steps you can keep the chair in excellent condition.
● Step 1→ vacuum dust and dirt: before starting cleaning, it is important to remove dust and dirt on the surface with a soft brush vacuum cleaner .
● Step 2 → pre-treatment : if there are stains that are difficult to remove, apply a pre-treatment to the affected area, following the manufacturer's instructions.
● Step 3 → clean delicately: use a delicate detergent specific for wool and apply it to the fabric with a soft cloth, avoiding moistening the surface too much. After cleaning the affected area, remove the cleaner with another clean, damp cloth.
● Step 4 → dry the cleaned area with a clean towel and let the chair dry completely before using it.
If you are unsure about the type of fabric, consult a professional or specialized retailer for cleaning and maintenance of upholstered chairs.
Cleaning the upholstery of a polyester chair can be a little different than other types of fabrics.
Here are some tips for cleaning this product effectively:
- Vacuum the chair: Before starting any type of cleaning, it is important to remove any crumbs or debris from the surface of the chair. Use the vacuum cleaner to remove dust and dirt from the fabric.
- Remove stains : if there are obvious stains on the fabric of the chair, remove them with a specific detergent for stains. Before using it, however, test the cleaner on a small, hidden area of the chair to make sure it won't damage the fabric.
- Steam Cleaning: Steam cleaning can be very effective at removing dirt and stains from polyester chair fabric. Use a steam cleaner with a fabric attachment, and gently pass it over the entire surface of the chair.
- Fabric detergent: If steam cleaning hasn't achieved the desired success, you can try using a fabric detergent specially formulated for cleaning polyester fabrics. Before using it, however, always follow the manufacturer's instructions and be careful not to use too much water.
- Wipe away moisture: Make sure the chair is completely dry before using it again. Use a fan or hair dryer to remove moisture from the fabric and batting.
To best clean the velvet of an upholstered chair, follow these suggestions:
- Vacuum the dust: Before you start cleaning the velvet, remove the dust with a low-powered vacuum cleaner .
- Use a damp cloth: to remove light stains, use a soft cloth dampened with warm water.
- Use specific products for the most difficult to remove stains. Before using them, however, always test on a small hidden area of the chair to check that the product does not damage the fabric.
- Dry well: after cleaning the velvet fabric, don't forget to dry the chair well to prevent the water or product used from penetrating the foam of the padding and damaging the structure of the chair. If you want, you can also use a hairdryer on a low temperature to speed up the drying process.
Remember that to clean the velvet of an upholstered chair it is important to act delicately and carefully to avoid damaging the fabric.
By following these tips, you will be able to keep your chair clean and in good condition for a long time.
There is certainly no standard time to clean the fabric of an upholstered chair.
However, you must keep in mind that the sooner you clean the dirt residues and stains (especially the most stubborn ones), the quicker you will be able to achieve effective results.
We also recommend vacuuming the upholstered chair at least once a week .
Stain removal and general upholstery cleaning, however, should be done on an as-needed basis or at least seasonally .
Finally, always remember to dry the fabric completely after cleaning to avoid the formation of mold or unpleasant odors.